Tuesday, September 25, 2012


Things I will change in transfer to comic form: It isn't a 'hospital' in the way we think it is. It's more of a clinic. Thing. Anyways. That's one thing. I'm also going to get rid of a LOT of Gehnn's lines. I have since disposed of the idea of giving her a speech impediment, since it didn't add anything to the story and just made writing (and reading) dialogue a huge pain. But part of her character is being less chatty and social and more quiet and observant. So not as many lines. 

Oh, man, I have rewritten this so many times. I recently read that it's best to just be simple and straightforward when writing scripts, and let the artist (well, me) figure out the pictures, instead of outlining them in the script. And it has made writing these scripts SO much easier. 

So, anyways, this is the end of chapter 1 and the start of chapter 2. The chapters are pretty short thus far - need to lengthen them a bit, methinks. Ah, well. Hope it makes sense!


(Gehnn takes Rex to the hospital. She bursts through the door, Rex drooping over her shoulders)
Doctor: Well, hello, Gehnn.
Need something?
Gehnn: I….(pant pant) found him…..outside….thicket…..
Skin hounds…..attacked….almost didn’t….
Doctor: What? Skin hounds? How’d you make it out?! Not even a scratch on you!
Gehnn: I…..he…..
I…ran. Somehow got away.
Please. Just help him.
Doctor: Well, you came at a good time. Most of the beds are empty. Here, let me help you –
(they plonk him on a nearby bed)
Doctor: Well. Certainly is unique, isn’t he? I don’t think I’ve seen clothes of this make…well, anywhere.
Gehnn: Can you help him?
Doctor: Hm. His heart’s beating normally. And he seems to be breathing normally.
Of course, I can’t say anything for certain until I get a proper look at him.
You found him in a thicket, you say?
Gehnn: Well….under it. He was resting there. I think. I was going out to collect....to cut some seasoning. For supper.
And I found him.
Doctor: I see.
I’ll look at him, see what’s wrong.
You should probably head home. Get some rest. You’ve had a big shock.
I’ll send you a message later.
(pause)
Gehnn: I….guess so.
Oh, wait. Min.
Doctor: (pulling back cloak) Tell him you had to go home by Doctor’s orders. I don’t think he’d be willing to risk annoying the Merchant’s Guild by making you work with that over his head.
Gehnn: Yeah.
Thank you.
Doctor: I’ll be sending you the bill later, you know.
Gehnn: Heh. Yeah.
Yeah.
(Scene: Gehnn walks back to her house. She sits down on the bed. She rubs her head, and stares at the wall.)
Gehnn: Rex…..
(flops back)
Rex.
Is that a name? Or a title? Or a race?
(pause)
How did he speak to me?
(she sighs, and closes her eyes.)
Min’s gonna have a fit.

CHAPTER 2: Rex
(Scene: Doctor examining Rex. Still has mask on.)
Doctor: Don’t want anyone to see you, eh?
I can understand that. In this part of the world, not many do.
Lucky for you, this is the safest place for miles around. So whatever trouble you’re running from, you’ve found a good hiding place here. A second chance.
(pause)
Heh heh. Why am I even talking to you? It’s not like you can hear me.
(feels around the edges of the mask. Perturbed.)
Huh.
You sure got it well stuck.
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a mask like yours, come to think of it. Nothing like with these slots or markings. Or these….cursed….straps!
(he gives up. Sighs.)
Do I seriously have to call Arzin in and have him cut this thing off?
(looks at mask.)
Well, you’re not gasping, I guess. Nothing I can do about that now.
Let’s just see about the leg, then….
(Scene: Gehnn is at the stall again, this time with customers.)
Boy: C’mon, Gehnn, just put in a good word for me!
Gehnn: No.
Boy: Come ON!
Gehnn: I’ve told you a good thousand times, Hy, she said no. She’s not gonna change her mind.
Hy: But, if you talk me up to her –
Gehnn: Hy, the plain fact of it is, Yul knows what she wants in men. And nothing I’ve said about it has ever changed her mind.
Hy: Uh…..what…kind of men does she like?
Gehnn: You would probably be better off not knowing, Hy.
Hy: I mean, maybe if I spruced myself up a bit, she’d –
Gehnn: It ain’t spruce she’s going for, Hy. Trust me on that.
Hy: But if you told me-
Gehnn: Hy.
You’re a good guy. Don’t let her spoil it.
Hy: Oh.
Gehnn: Really.
Hy: Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Sure. Um.
I guess….I guess I’ll just….go this way. And think about this.
Yeah.
Gehnn: (sighs)
Customer: Boy troubles, honey?
Gehnn: Not mine, praises be.
Customer: They all come around eventually, don’t you worry.
My own Pike, he an’ I were bandit children up on those desert trails. I ignored him until he killed up a pack of skin hounds and made a coat outta their hides for me. I married him the day he gave it to me.
Gehnn: That sounds….wonderful.
Customer: It is, isn’t it?
Just remember what I told you, Honey. Keep strong!
Gehnn: Sure will.
(thinking, wearily) Yul would love that.
Min: Gehnn!
Gehnn: Oh, hi there, Min.
Min: Gehnn, Arzin finished those chair repairs. I can take over shop while you go to pick it up.
Gehnn: Does this mean I don’t have to sit on this thing anymore? (points at splintery old stool upon which she was formerly sitting)
Min: Just go and get it.
Gehnn: Sure thing!
(runs down street, towards smith’s. She comes to a barrage of crowds – goes down alley, climbs on top of wall, runs across roofs, drops down in front of smith’s. She walks up to the door, and rings the bell.)
Apprentice: Someone’s at the door.
Arzin: Then get it.
(door opens.)
Gehnn: Hi, Clem. Arzin said the chair was ready for pickup?
Clem: Uh, yeah. He’s busy right now, but I can-
Arzin: Hey! Is that Gehnn?
Gehnn: Hey, Arzin.
Arzin: It is you! Here for the chair, I take it?
Gehnn: Yep.
Arzin: Clem! Go to the back and get the chair.
Clem: Yessir.
Arzin: It’s been a while since I’ve seen you around my shop, girl.
Gehnn: Min’s been running the stall longer since the Trade Fair. He’s even had me work on rest-days.
Arzin: Ridiculous. Who would be at the bazaar on a rest-day?
Gehnn: He just likes to take what chances he can get, I guess.
Arzin: Hmph. Ridiculous.
If he’s not careful, he’ll get reported to the Guild. They’re tightening their hold on everyone these days.
Gehnn: Eh, he’ll figure out how to get around it.
Arzin: One of these days, though…..
But never mind that. How have you been faring, with all this extra work?
Gehnn: Well enough. I’ve gotten a little extra pay out of it.
Arzin: Good, good. And how’s Yul? Managed to stay out of trouble?
Gehnn: Do you even need to ask.
Arzin: Ha ha ha ha! I like that girl. She’s got spirit. And a strong fighting arm.
Gehnn: Yeah. Wish she’d keep it to herself, though.
We’re already under the wire as it is.
Arzin:….people asking questions?
Gehnn: No, just….can’t let ourselves stick out, you know? Can’t take chances.
Arzin: Hm.
Well, everyone here has something to hide. This whole city was built on second chances.
Gehnn: Some things don’t warrant second chances.
Arzin: Don’t you worry about it, Gehnn. I’m sure Yul will settle down. Or else be tossed out on her rear. Either way, you’ll be at peace.
Gehnn: (laughing) Guess so.
Clem: I’ve got the chair here, ma’am.
Gehnn: Oh, yeah! Thank you.
Arzin: That should stay sturdy. And I polished it, so you’ll be able to sit without getting splinters.
Gehnn: Thank you so much.
I’d better get back to Min.  He’s all alone at the stall right now.
Arzin: Of course, of course.
You just make sure to come back and visit!
Gehnn: I’ll see if I can make the time.
Arzin: Come at midnight, I don’t care. Just visit.
Gehnn: Sure thing. Thanks again.
Arzin: Any time, Gehnn. Just say the word.
(she leaves)
Arzin: (to himself) That girl has something on her mind.
Clem: Didn’t she say she was working long hours?
Arzin: No, something else.
Hm.
Oh, well. Back to work, boy! Can’t stand by ogling pretty girls all day!
Clem: Um….right, sir!
(scene: Gehnn is walking over the roofs, about to come to the market. She sits down, sighing.)
(looks up at sky. How pretty.)
(she notices a shape, high up. She squints. The shape looks like a blimp of some sort. She raises a hand to her eyes, trying to get a better look, but is then suddenly distracted by a shout.)
Min: GEHNN!
(Gehnn looks down.)
Gehnn: Um….hey there, Min!
Min: GET DOWN HERE!
Gehnn: Right, right. Sorry, sir. Be right down.
Min: I told you to go and get the chair!
Gehnn: I did get it. It’s right here.
Min: I meant….never mind. Let’s just get back to the stall.
Gehnn: Right, sir.











3 comments:

  1. Your dialogue is very organic, and I like that. Your characters seem nuanced, actually—something I have a hard time with. But I actually get a good feel for everyone’s personalities.

    To have a set setting where they seem to hang out in the same place for the duration (or a large part) of the story means the story needs to be character driven to give it motion. Your characters are nuanced enough to pull it off, for sure, but it seems in this section like things are sort of ho-hum, business as usual. I like the development of the skinhound attack at the beginning. Side note: the doctor seemed awfully calm about it all, and Gehnn seemed more tired than anything else.

    I'm reading David Farland's blog of writing advice and such, and he recently wrote that your setting and/or plot and/or characters have to be in constant motion, or else things sort of back up like a cascade stop or gridlock in traffic, and it's awfully hard to keep reader interest. The script form keeps movement—they're talking, and so new developments come about, but ... well, maybe I'd have to see it in the context of the story arc, to see how it all fits together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So in short
    Strong points: lots of character development, likable characters, who are nuanced and have potential for a great story to be told about them.

    Weak points: really, I guess I just don’t know the context of this section, so to me it looks kind of random. I probably just need to see where it fits in the story arc. As a standalone section, it doesn't have much rising action, conflict, or motion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points. I have trouble with calm scenes - I know, in my head, that they're supposed to be used for character development and world building and such, but I have trouble figuring out how to get that on paper.

    Writing comics and writing books are very different, I've noticed, and yet the same. The same in the sense that you're writing a story with characters and a plot, etc., but it's how its presented that's different. Like, with the doctor being calm - in the comic, I intend that to be sort of a joke, with him having this whole 'not the worst that I've seen' attitude. But it's channeling that purely through dialogue that makes it more challenging. I am trying to avoid using narration boxes, as I find them annoying and most of the time completely unnecessary.

    I'm glad, at least, my characters are fine. It took me so long to find the right tone and personality for them. Oh, gosh. All those rewritings.

    So, yeah, thanks for your input! I'll be posting more of my scripts up on groupink, since that is mostly what I am concentrating on writing-wise these days, so hopefully this will seem less random. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete